Living for Jesus Christ
In Philippians 1:19-26, we find the Apostle Paul thanking the people of Philippi for their support. Paul is not sure what the verdict will be for sharing the gospel. Yet, he is very clear about his destiny if the court delivers the death sentence. Paul writes, “For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”
To take a stance as Paul did requires a major shift in the heart and mind of a Christian. It suggests that one has reached a point of no return as it pertains to living for God and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. It means that one is clear about their eternal destiny. But what does it really mean to live for Christ? Let’s consider the steps we must take.
• We Must Trust and Submit to God’s Plan – Paul knew that his purpose was to help the Philippians and others who were part of the early church. We also need a purpose for following Christ, other than for His ability to supply all our needs.
• We Must Trust the Body of Christ – Paul relied on the prayers of others. We must be willing to pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ (Ephesians 6:18).
• We Must Exalt Christ in Everything We Do – We cannot be ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes (Romans 1:16).
• We Must Embrace a View of Eternity – To live for Christ, means to develop eternal values and by extension tell others about the salvation of the Lord (See 1st Corinthians 15:32; Titus 2: 11-14).
• We Must Trust the Holy Spirit – The Holy Spirit is our Helper (John 15:26). If He dwells in us, the Holy Spirit gives life to our mortal bodies; He also makes intercession on our behalf (Romans 8:11; 26).
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.